Sunday, March 11, 2007

Paris bookshops. A couple of evenings last week I got off early and headed up to the Notre-Dame/St.Michel area. I looked in at Shakespeare and Co (open midday til midnight), which I'd never been to before - a nice remnant of 1950s American-in-paris bohemianism, still unspoilt, and complete with backpackers sleeping on the floor upstairs. I called in to several other bookshops in the district, most of which were as uncommercial as it's possible to be while still remaining a shop. I'd almost forgotten the sheer pleasure of browsing in a bookshop - I mean one which seems to care about books and writers. In Derby, where I work, there is only one - the dispiriting Waterstones, with its piped music and celebrity biographies.

So, Notre Dame cathedral in the late afternoon sun, cafes and bookshops - I could do with more trips like that.

I'm back home in Nottingham now, back to normal, and need to get the missing entries on Litter put back.

3 comments:

kathz said...

some posts I read just make me impossibly envious - this is one.

It's bad enough reading about poetry readings I've missed.

http://uk.blog.360.yahoo.com/kathleenzbell

Alan Baker said...

Hi kathz

I'll try and announce readings in advance!

It's the first time I've been to Paris since 2003 (during the heatwave), and that's why I was so enthusiastic - I was glad to be back!

Alan

kathz said...

I'll keep watching out for the poetry readings. It's annoying missing readings at the Flying Goose which is nearby - but on the rare occasions I hear about them in advance, I find I'm working late or too busy to get out.

I'm glad you enjoyed Paris really - it's just that stage in the year when I'd like to get away (but can't) and my French is getting rusty again.