Sunday, October 17, 2010

This blog has been scant lately, as I've been working hard at earning a living, and travelling around - London, Prague, Bracknell. Last Thursday I met Ernesto Priego for the first time in London. We found a pub which I swear I haven't been in for about 20 years - 'The Hole in the Wall' under the railway arches opposite Waterloo station. I'm glad to report it hasn't changed a bit, and still serves Young's bitter. Not only is Ernesto an erudite scholar and a fine multi-lingual poet, but - even more impressively - he's also a member of the Campaign for Real Ale. I hope to introduce him to the delights of the Castle Rock brewery when he visits Nottingham in a couple of weeks.

2 comments:

Kathz said...

I haven't been to the Hole in the Wall for years though I noticed it was still there a few weeks back. I must find an excuse to pause there again - it used to be one of my favourites when I lived in London. I still remember that on my first visit I tasted Ruddles County for the first time - a memorable occasion.

Alan Baker said...

Kath, next time your in the smoke you should call in. It's bigger than I remembered, but there's a small, quiet room at the front.

Ah, Ruddles County...