Monday, September 3, 2007

The Monk Companions

Anyone in the vicinity of Sheffield should try to get to the event below. I'm trying to re-schedule some stuff so I can get there, as it should be a memorable evening. There are so many people on that list I'd like to get to see, not least the legendary Bill Griffiths. Geraldine herself of course, is a real performance poet, and her readings are not to be missed. Her poetry in fact, is meant to be performed (often with props and costumes) and is harder to appreciate with just the printed page to go on.

THE MONK COMPANIONS @ The Site Gallery, 1 Brown Street, Sheffield

22
September 6pm. Admission free.

www.sitegallery.org


An evening to celebrate the launch of THE SALT COMPANION TO GERALDINE MONK, the first collection of critical essays on this major Sheffield poet. Wine reception followed by poetry performances from Monk herself and the poet-contributors:

Bill Griffiths
David Kennedy
Christine Kennedy
Harriet Tarlo
Sean Bonney
David Annwn
Frances Presley
Elizabeth James
Chris Goode
Scott Thurston

3 comments:

Sam said...

Looks like a good evening.

John B-R said...

I wish I could join you. Shd be great fun

Alan Baker said...

I wish you could join me too John. In fact I wish I could go, 'cos I can't. Prior family committments...

Ah, well. Maybe there'll be more - the Sheffield group centred around G. Monk and Alan Halsey put on a great series of readings a couple of years back.

Hello Sam.